25 July 2011

Holiday Slideshow: Izmir, Turkey

First stop for our big boat was Izmir, Turkey! (As a side note...despite all the drawbacks of going on a cruise you do get to see cities from perspectives you couldn't get any other way - like the one above, as we pulled into the port of Izmir - which is all kinds of awesome).  People stop at Izmir to see Ephesus (or Efes in Turkish), an Ancient Greek and then Ancient Roman city (the 2nd biggest Roman city for awhile, actually).  So that is exactly what we did too.

The cool thing about Ephesus is that the ruins are surprisingly intact.  Even when it is packed and swarming with tourists (like it was when we visited, damn cruise boat tourists!), you get a real sense of what it might have been like to live in the city way back when.  This is especially so when you round a corner that takes you to the main street of Ephesus, still paved with marble and still flanked by the ruins of various temples and buildings.  It's quite an amazing sight.  Actually, if you squint you can imagine all the other tourists in togas...  

3 comments:

  1. I'm super jealous. I'm an archaeologist and I still haven't been there. Some day...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh I hope you do make it there soon! They told us that about two thirds of the ruins are still covered over, and every day they are making new discoveries. I imagine it would be a wonderful place for an archaeologist to visit (and work!).

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh wow! I have to admit, I don't really know much about Turkey, but you're photos and story make me want to visit one day.

    ReplyDelete

Your comments make me happier than you could possibly imagine. Really! Thank you.