28 June 2010

Flickr Finds: Origami Tessellations







































1. Pinwheel Tessellation by Eric Gjerde  2. Square Limpets by Polly Verity
3. Star Puff Tessellation by Pierre Andre  4. Seven Puff Stars by Gila Oren
5. Hex Star by Eric Gjerde  6. L-Triomino Tile by Polly Verity

Origami tessellations are amazingly beautiful don't you think?  I love the repetition of patterns, the unexpected shapes and the interplay of light and dark.

If you like this sort of stuff you should have a look at Eric Gjerde's website which has much information and many resources.  He is also the author of this book which is full of breathtaking (and challenging) tessellations - definitely one for the experienced paper folder.  I would be hopelessly inept if I attempted anything in there, but the 9 year old step-son Joe has been working on his first piece this afternoon and it's coming along nicely!

Polly Verity's website is also worth looking at - her portfolio of paper folding work is beautiful.

2 comments:

  1. Hey, thanks for the kind words, I appreciate it :)

    Best wishes for Joe and tackling tessellations- it took me years to figure them out, but kids seem to just get it so quickly! I do hope he enjoys folding them as much as I did. It's been a great pleasure to share them with the world!

    Thanks again!

    -Eric Gjerde

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks so much or your comment - I really admire your work :)

    I think you're right about kids picking it up quickly, Joe finished the tessellation and it looks fantastic! I'll have to post some photos soon

    ReplyDelete

Your comments make me happier than you could possibly imagine. Really! Thank you.